Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pumpkin Lentil Soup in Crock Pot




Does the idea of coming home to Pumpkin Lentil Soup stewing away in your crock pot at the end of a busy, blistering day make your mouth water? This is a thick, hearty recipe that I'm going to keep tucked away in my back pocket and make on repeat as the colder days approach. THIS is a recipe you'll want to make on a day when you're destined to end up under a blanket, fireside. Trust me, there. 

So. How is everyone? I love the busy feeling that's been constantly buzzing around me lately as we begin to make holiday plans, destined to be full of family, love and laughter. 
I've been thinking lately about romantic relationships, as so many people around me seem to be in relationships that are moving forward, backward, remaining stagnant, etc. I think that during the holiday season, people are more preemptive in their search for a romantic partner. Have you seen that? Have you done that?
I'm safe to say that my husband and I met many years ago at the very beginning of a very typical MARCH. But it's true, isn't it? Lots of people don't want to be alone during the holiday season, they want to share, to love, to make holiday memories...
...the funny thing is, as colder weather approaches, I always feel a busy buzzing love of independence as well. (to counter the affection and family time that naturally accompanies having a holiday-time husband, not in lieu of it, mind you.) How about you? Are you drawn to be surrounded by romance and love and company during the colder months, or do you seek solo adventures, accentuated by warm soups and chilly wind in your hair? I would love to know. Share your stories with me. 
And until then, PLEASE oh please enjoy this soup!!

Pumpkin Lentil Soup in Crock Pot
Combine the following in your crock pot, approximately 6 hours before dinner time:
1 small onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 apples, diced into tiny pieces
1 small sweet potato, diced into tiny pieces

1 cup of red lentils
1 (15.5 oz) can of pumpkin puree
3 cups of vegetable broth + 1 1/2 cup of water
1 1/2 tablespoon of curry powder
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
3 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
A pinch of cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons of garam masala
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper

Serve with either honey cornbread or buttered rustic baguette (toasted)

I used roasted pumpkin seeds on top for garnish with a dollop of greek yogurt. 

I hope you all enjoy this soup as you cozy up at the end of a long, well worn day. Love. 

1 comment:

  1. in the crockpot now! can't wait to see how it turns out! smells incredible!

    ReplyDelete