Thursday, August 30, 2012

Toasted Coconut Brownie

So. I've been entirely out of commission and fighting flu-like symptoms since late Monday night. I'm completely desperate to share my early-week veggie curry recipe with you, but every time I've tried, my stomach churns. And it's awfully depressing, because it was incredible! My body launched itself into fever and chills 12 hours after we ate it (I promise, not as a result of the curry, more a result of preschool germs)...and well, you can imagine how distant I'm trying to keep myself from curry memories now. However, I'm (almost) just as excited to share my brownie recipe with you! You'll forgive me, right?
Do you want to know my ridiculous fever-breaking secret? I do the opposite of what I'm always told and have a chocolate milkshake and within hours, my fever breaks. It works every time. There is no medical or scientific basis for my claim. It's my thing. Do you have a "thing" that helps you heal?
In regards to this brownie, please prepare and eat with heed. No self-loathing thoughts about "deserving it after a bad day", etc. When we do that, we end up eating a lot more than originally intended and end up HATING the brownie (is it really the brownie we feel such upset towards?) To me, a craving is a result of a vitamin/mineral deficiency, hormonal changes or mental. Everyday "cravings" should be closely examined. I think that wanting something sweet and calling it a craving changes it from a "want" to a "need" in our minds and immediately helps us forgive ourselves for indulging. Please enjoy this brownie in small squares and slowly. Do not make my brownie your punishment. In other words, please enjoy this on a good day, not just on a bad day. Enjoy this brownie because you're fabulous.

During our meandering of Asheville recently, we made ourselves comfortable here: http://frenchbroadchocolates.com/articles/the-lounge, and ordered a variety of different things. Shortbreads, macaroon brownie, rose-infused homemade house soda. I LOVED the macaroon brownie and have done my best to recreate it. My recipe lacks the TLC of ANY dessert created in a chocolate lounge-but will at least substantiate until you (or I) can enjoy the real thing.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir 2 eggs, 1/4 a cup of sugar, 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract, 1/2 a cup of butter, melted. In separate bowl, sift 3/4 cup of Ghirardelli Sweet Ground Chocolate and Cocoa, 2/3 cup of flower, 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder, a pinch of salt, 1/2 a cup of shredded coconut and 3/4 cup of milk chocolate chips. Combine ingredients from both bowls into one bowl. Stir. Spread into a greased 2 quart pan. Top with a generous amount of coconut and bake for 35 minutes, or until coconut is perfectly golden and crunchy. Enjoy!

So as I'm sitting here, before the masses awake, in almost darkness with a mug of green tea, my thoughts are flowing. Doesn't that always happen the day that we're recovered from feeling sick? You feel like a superhero! The 3 most recent novels that I've read have been written by authors from London, where their stories also take place. One term I have noticed in all three books is "early days", and I love it. Women refer to their early pregnancy as "it's early days", and couples refer to early relationships the same way, "oh well, you know, it's early days". I've never heard a term that mitigates such straightforward + cavalier feelings at the same time, have you? All you're required to say is "it's early days" and the crowd nods in a quiet, contemplative understanding. I adore it. Do you ever pick up terms in books or on TV and integrate them into your daily language? I don't often, but this time I'm going to try :) Have a wonderful day. And good morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment