Thursday, September 20, 2012

Cauliflower Curry Soup


Hello! I've spent such little time with my computer and such a great amount of time outside this week in the crisp air that I've hardly had a chance to check in. How has your week been?

Would YOU like to make a slow-cooking, really tasty, very suitable FALL soup? The recipe that I'm featuring today is so simple and delicious that I'm planning to make it many times over the next few months. My belief is that it could easily be used as a template for a much richer variety of soups as time goes on. My husband noted that adding small pieces of chicken would amp the heartiness and give it a bit more texture and taste. I think that tofu would create the same idea. If you make it and decide to add/subtract ingredients as you go, please share your ideas with me! I'm always interested.

Please forgive my hasty introduction. I usually find myself with more time to be contemplative and leisurely with my morning coffee/tea/blogging schedule than the time I have in the evenings. Are you a morning person? Or do you prefer your evenings? Or late nights? I'm most thoughtful when I rise with the sun...I tend to become clumsier and less thoughtful as the daytime hours tick by.

Ok! Here you go:

Set your crock pot to high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, one medium onion, chopped, 2 garlic cloves, minced, 2 carrots, sliced and one apple, chopped. Leave unattended (if you wish) for ten to twenty minutes. Add one medium head of cauliflower, chopped into small pieces. Add 2 tablespoons of curry powder and mix until all vegetables are well coated. 
Once this step is complete and your veggies all have an orangish hue from the curry powder, add 6 cups of vegetable broth and 2 cups of water. Also, a pinch of salt and black pepper, to taste.
Voila! Set on medium heat and cook for 6-8 hours!
Once you're nearing mealtime, add 1/2 a cup of milk or cream and blend soup with an immersion blender. Taste and add salt and pepper again, if necessary for your palate. (If you don't have an immersion blender, transfer soup to blender in batches and then transfer back to crock pot).

This soup is fabulous with a chunk of bread or some sesame crackers. I serve with a dollop of greek yogurt and a handful of roasted cashews, chopped, for garnish. YUM!

You can expect to find many slow-cooker recipes on my blog as the temperature decreases. I love coming home to the scent of sweet squashes, winter greens and spices that have been cooking all day long as I've been going about my every day business. It cooks itself! Comfort food! Perfection.

This weekend, I'm hosting a Kitchen Shower for my Sister-in-Law (to be married in October!) I've planned my menu and prepared most of my foods for the party. Early next week, I'll do a party planning feature and share some of my ideas with you for tapa-like, mid afternoon party foods and will completely fill you in on all of the details of my sangria bar! 

I hope everyone is having a wonderful week! Time for me to get my baby from his crib, pour a glass of wine, turn on a bluegrass-y Pandora station and make some decisions about tonight's dinner. Find a moment to consider your day through a calm sense of reflection. Take a deep breath. Enjoy your Thursday evening. 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious. I am going to make this over the weekend. I make another califlower soup with thyme and tomatoes. Thanks for the great food inspirations!

    ReplyDelete