Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Greek Yogurt Lasagna

My first exposure to Greek yogurt was during my first pregnancy with my now 2 1/2 year old, Cloveleigh. I began eating it plain, or with honey, as an afternoon snack to provide extra protein to my vegetarian diet. Because of it's health benefits and deliciousness, I slowly began adding it to different areas of my cooking to substitute other food items such as cream, certain cheeses and sour cream. We've evolved into a household of hardcore Greek yogurt users. We've tried every kind we can get our hands on and have established a loyal and unwavering relationship with Cabots Lowfat Greek Yogurt.
My general rule with dairy products is that I try not to use anything less than full fat, and pay close attention to taste and chemicals added to reduce the fat in certain dairy products. One night, my husband challenged me and set up a tasting bar of both full fat and reduced fat Cabots Greek Yogurt, and I was determined to prove my point (full fat in small doses ALWAYS wins in taste and healthiness)...so with a blindfold I set out to WIN...and lost. I couldn't tell the difference between them at ALL...and so from there we further evolved into a Lowfat Cabots Greek Yogurt eating family and it's where we are today.

Recently, I decided to substitute ricotta cheese with Greek yogurt in my lasagna recipe that I'm providing you with today. I add broccoli to give it a certain heartiness often found in meat-based lasagna recipes. The result was INCREDIBLE! There was a certain fresh and tangy taste that isn't generally present in my go-to lasagna recipe, and I'm officially a Greek yogurt lasagna convert. Enjoy!

Greek Yogurt Lasagna
In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups of steamed broccoli, 2 cups of your favorite Greek yogurt, 9 ounces of freshly shredded mozzarella cheese and 3 ounces of...ready for another twist?...shredded sharp white cheddar cheese. Add salt, pepper and 2 cloves of freshly minced garlic.
Either make (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/penne-with-vodka-sauce-recipe/index.html) or purchase 2 jars of vodka sauce.
Boil one box of whole wheat lasagna noodles, al dente.
Spread vodka sauce on bottom of a casserole dish. Add layer of noodles. Spread yogurt and broccoli mixture in a layer on top of noodles and then top with a layer of fresh spinach leaves. Spread another layer of sauce, another layer of lasagna noodles, and repeat process until all ingredients have been used.
Finish with a layer of noodles, sauce and a combination of shredded mozzarella and sharp white cheddar cheese.
Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes with foil. Remove foil and bake for a final 15-20 minutes, or until cheese begins to brown bubble (yum!)

I served this lasagna to my family one night and then to dinner company a few nights later. It went far and received rave reviews around the table! It was even better leftover and reheated. Per habit, I served with a spinach salad on both occasions. And plenty of red wine :)

How has your week been? Mine has been so great. We've been adjusting (easily!) to the cooler weather. I've started two of my mornings this week taking long, leisurely walks and sipping coffee with my dear friend (who is about to have a BABY!). I've also had company in town to help celebrate my extended birthday week and have wholeheartedly welcomed my NEW year of life with open arms. I have high hopes for laughter, love, travel and many culinary adventures in my 29th year of life. My baby is beginning to stir so off I go to fall in love with him all over again, like I do every day as I retrieve him from his afternoon nap. Have a wonderful afternoon!

1 comment: