Friday, September 7, 2012

Fig Salad + Caprese Bread



Happy Friday! Do you have any weekend plans? We're hoping to relax, let Cloveleigh play with some new school friends, log some quality baby time and go couch shopping! I'm also hoping to put in a few good therapeutic cooking sessions. We're keeping our fingers crossed that the weather cools down a bit (I've heard rumors that it might...have you?)...our week has been one LONG short week! I'm looking forward to some maximum relaxation time, a glass (or 2) of wine, and a legit Pandora station (and maybe a 2 year old dance party) this evening. How do you unwind at the end of your day/week?

Last night, I pulled everything out of the refrigerator, surveyed the countertop produce and went to work. My goal was to create something simple and delicious.
The result: Fig Salad paired with Caprese Bread.

Fig Salad
Combine spinach, fresh figs, shredded carrots, copious amounts of avocado (if you love it as much as I do), slivered almonds and crumbled blue cheese.
This creates a simple, delicious and colorful salad that would look beautiful amongst a variety of other foods for a DINNER PARTY! I thought it tasted incredible with ginger dressing. I've read a lot about the combination of avocados and figs and I have to admit now...I agree!

Caprese Bread
Toast a 9 grain baguette in the oven (after drizzling with olive oil), bottoms faced down, on a baking sheet. Add sun dried tomatoes, fresh basil (lots!), fresh tomatoes and slices/chunks of fresh mozzarella (the fresher, the better). Sprinkle with salt and pepper and broil until the edges of the bread begin to turn golden brown. THIS will achieve THE perfect crunch. Who doesn't like a good, crunchy bread? (I LOVE a good, rustic bread...in moderate amounts, of course!)

I was excited to share this recipe with you because of it's simplicity and because of the salads' potential to entertain at your next dinner party. My more time consuming recipes will come this weekend, when I have freer hands. Stay tuned for a greek-yogurt lasagna and fig and honey muffins (both which I'm hoping to invent this weekend!)...thank you to my loyal readers for all of your feedback and for taking the time to prepare, share and hopefully LOVE some of the recipes that you find on my blog. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment